Using an espresso machine is by far the best way to make the perfect espresso, but even if you don't have a fancy machine, you can still make a quality cup of coffee. Below we show you how.
What is Espresso?
Espresso refers to a method of preparing coffee. Espresso is typically:
- a dark roast
- made from a fine grind
- brewed using heat and pressure
Automatic espresso machines use substantial pressure to push hot water through the coffee grinds. You can easily replicate this without an expensive machine.
The French press works very similarly to the AeroPress by using a combination of pressure and heat.
To use a French press:
- Remove the lid of the press.
- Put your Zavida coffee beans inside (Use double the amount you'd use for a normal cup of coffee).
- Pour hot water over the top of the grinds. Let it steep for about five minutes.
- Place the lid and plunger into the machine and slowly push it down until it reaches the bottom.
Stovetop or 'Moka pot'
A 'Moka pot', or stovetop espresso maker, is probably the most traditional method of making espresso.
To use the stovetop maker:
- Add cold water to the bottom section, fill the middle section with ground coffee, and securely screw the spout on top.
- Put the pot on a medium heat on the stove.
- Once the water has boiled the pot will let out a whistling sound.
- You'll know it's done when the upper chamber will is filled with coffee. When this happens, remove the pot from the stove, and it's ready to serve.
An Aeropress is a great device for travel as it has a compact size and weight. It uses pressure from the air to push hot water through your coffee grinds.
To use the Aeropress:
- Put the drain cap of the AeroPress on top of a mug.
- Put your grounds into the AeroPress.
- Pour hot water into the Aeropress, stir it quickly and then wait 30 seconds.
- Gently push down the plunger of the AeroPress, and the espresso shot will go right into your cup.
- Now that you have a few alternatives for making a good cup of espresso without a machine, you won't have to head out for coffee again.
Want to get the best out of your morning cup of coffee? Choose Zavida coffee beans.